New Bento Gear & a Recipe

My parents were in town for Easter and Ben asked to skip preschool so he could spend time helping my dad in the yard. Since they don't live nearby, we decided it was no big deal for him to stay home. However, that would explain the lack of bentos this week, we ate in the house!

After Easter, while perusing the sales at Target, I found some new containers for Ben for lunches. Faith has similar ones in the shape of a Littlest Pet Shop kitty from a few years ago.

I think they are supposed to be Easter eggs, but they are perfect for dry snacks in a lunch bag (they do have teeny holes in the bottom, so they won't work for wet food).



The top two are still shut, then the bottom one is an opened one. There were a little over $1 on sale, so Ben got them, even though I really don't like Spongebob.

My other plan has been to come up with a better stuffed corn muffin recipe. The JIF version is easy, but I also don't love that it's a boxed mix. I have an awesome recipe for a confetti cornbread (with red, green & orange peppers) that had potential, so F&B and I tried it out today, minus the peppers and adding sausage & cheese. We made a regular pan versus muffins and 3/4 of it went between the kids & Shaun, so I'm assuming it was good!

In case you're interested:

1 c flour
1 c cornmeal
3 tblsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 c milk
1 stick melted butter or margarine
1 large egg
Whatever you want to stuff it with (we used about 4 hotdog sized sausages diced and a cup or so of shredded cheese)

Preheat oven to 400. & butter an 8 or 9 inch square pan.
Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the milk, butter and egg together.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ones and gently stir until the batter is evenly moistened.
Add the "stuffing" and stir to combine.
Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
Cool for about 15 minutes before serving.

I'm really looking forward to trying these with some turkey/chicken and veggies, but had to go with what was in the fridge and needing to be served. ;o)

Comments

  1. I am hoping to try these tomorrow if I can find something to stuff them with. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How full do you fill muffin cups and roughly how many muffins does this make? I want to plan accordingly. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The meat stuffing needs to be precooked, yes? (I'm assuming so, but just wanted to be sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I missed these comments because of the date on the post.

    The meat filling does need to be precooked. I usually fill cups about 2/3 full and get close to a dozen regular muffins.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment